Saturday, January 23, 2010

Do You Remember the Time?

So the old saying is that you must know where you're from to get where you are going. Well I must say that is quite true. This afternoon, my roommate and I decided to venture through the historical town of which we live, Pheobus. Pheobus is a small town located in Hampton,Virginia. In this homey town we found about 3 blocks of antique shops that spilled over with memories of the "good times". Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures of some of the old trinkets I found but they were to die for.
..
Me being an avid reader and writer, I was pulled into an antique book shop- you know the ones that you think only exist on old TV shows. As soon as I opened the door, I smelled the scent of 200 year old novels. Pure heaven for any book lover. I wanted to buy the $50 original, leather back Alice in Wonderland but of course, I am a broke student at the end of the day. But I will be back. However, what I did buy was three pairs of gorgeous antique earrings and the 1964 hardback version of The Autobiography of Malcolm X for $2 at another shop. Almost better than thrifting. Or maybe its one in the same.
..
Anyway, while rummaging through the old records, volume 1 OEDs ( Oxford English Dictionary) , first made irons and porcelain, I also came across things that in my opinion weren't that old - VHS tapes and Cds. Then I thought wow these are actually going on 20 years old. The same age as me. It felt like yesterday when I was just a kid watching Aladdin and the King of Thieves and listening to Mariah Carey's Butterfly. My how time flies when you're just simply...living. Who needs a VHS when you have DVDs..well now blue rays. Who needs a CD when you have itunes ...well limewire. When I looked at the old little ladies that walked behind me in the shops, I thought wow this is what they remember. To me that stuff was new- things I've never seen before. It's great to have a reminder of the past and to know somewhere in some small town, that the past still exists.

-Karter.

No comments:

Post a Comment